Presented below are a number of short philosophic and moral precepts culled from Swami Vivekananda's works and utterances.Some will also be found in the section on quotations as part of a particular quotation and again in his teachings. In this section, we have attempted to choose statements of force and brevity - which stand alone as, perhaps, a complete lesson in and of themselves.
- Purity, patience, and perseverance are the three essentials to success, and above all, love
- Education is the manifestation of the perfection already in man
- Religion is the manifestation of the Divinity already in man
- The only worship is love
- Truth never dreams
- No one can get anything unless he earns it. This is an eternal law.
- The more you fly from nature, the more she follows you; and if you do not care for her at all, she becomes your slave
- There is no virtue higher than non-injury.
- By truth we attain fruits of work.
- Chastity is the basis of all religions.
- He who has conquered the internal nature controls the whole universe; it becomes his servant.
- As soon as you make a sect, you protest against universal brotherhood.
- Through truth everything is attained. In truth everything is established.
- Mercy shall not be for men alone, but shall go beyond, and embrace the whole world.
- The worm that crawls under your feet today is a God to be.
- That man has reached immortality who is disturbed by nothing material.
- There is no other teacher but your own soul.
- The totality of all souls, not the human alone, is the Personal God.
- Each individual has to work out his own salvation; there is no other way, and so also with nations.
- The strong, the well-knit, the young, the healthy, the daring alone are fit to be Yogis.
- To the Yogi everything is bliss
- Misery is caused by sin, and by no other cause.
- From contentment comes superlative happiness.
- Everything is fraught with fear: Renunciation alone is fearless.
- Friendship with many is good at a distance.
- www.vivekananda.net edited by Frank Parlato Jr.